There are so many different products to choose from to add scent to our homes. Candles being a popular one. It's calming to light a candle and unwind at night. The flickering light is soothing and for some the fragrance brings a sense of ease, comfort and even memories. This is what Aromatherapy is all about, using scents from plants to support our emotions. Read about the power of Aromatherapy and how scent affects us.
Unfortunately there are too many candles and other products that are full of synthetic fragrances and this brings more problems than what our intentions to relax were. Many suffer from allergies and headaches from the synthetic fragrance, without ever connecting the dots.
That was me....
Lighting a candle was pretty much an everyday thing for me and you could even find a plug in in every room of my apartment!
I was sick often. I didn't have many days that I felt good but never connected the dots with food or toxins until years later! So here I am sharing and passing that on to you.
After you have been away from synthetic fragrances for awhile and come in contact with them, it is then that you become very aware of how toxic they really are.
I can hardly walk past the cleaning aisle or candle aisle without getting a slight headache or a feeling of nausea. The smell is too artificially strong.
Almost every public restroom has an automatic sprayer or plug in that is synthetic fragranced that makes even my kiddos say it smells too strong and bad. It lingers on my clothing and in my nostrils. This stuff is no joke! I couldn't believe I use to load my house up with the same things, but I did and now I know better.
Synthetic fragrance can actually be a mix of hundreds of different chemicals and guess what....the company doesn't have to disclose the information to you because it's considered a trade-secret ingredient. You can check out these articles to learn more on that. I also highly recommend watching the documentary Stink!
Get creative and try these fun ways to make your home smell great without synthetic products:
- Make your own potpourri with mixing organic spices and herbs, add some Essential Oil. My favorite mix is Clove Buds, Cinnamon Sticks, Star Anise, Rose Buds and Sage. Peppermint and Rosemary Essential Oil is a great oil to add, they both smell strong and refreshing.
- Burn Sage
- Use wax melts. Choose soy wax or bees wax wax melts made with Essential Oils and Organic Spices
- Essential Oil diffuser. There are different diffuser styles. Some use water to diffuse the water, some are fans and some use a light to heat up the oil from beneath. I personally have all three styles but love my water diffuser the most. Diffusing oils not only smell great but also can support your immune system and purify your home air, depending on which oil you are diffusing.
Here are some oils that I diffuse for personal use:
+ Rosemary and Peppermint to support respiratory.
+ OnGuard or just Clove and Rosemary for immune support.
+ Lavender and Vetiver for calming. If I forget to turn the diffuser on for my kiddo at night, he will actually ask me to! My kids really enjoy Aromatherapy.
- Make your own spray. Blend some Essential Oils in a bottle sprayer and spray your space! Ideas on where to spray: your sheets, closet, draws, carpet, car. Check out Naturally Trudging blends. Peace is my favorite :)
- Powder the carpet. Add a couple drops of Essential Oil to baking soda and LIGHTLY powder the carpet before vacuuming. Lemon is a great oil for sprinkling on carpet. It smells clean + has anti-bacterial properties.
- Choose natural vs synthetic candles. Naturally Trudging candles are made with Organic Hemp Wick, Soy Wax, and Essential Oils.
Note: When using a candle made with Essential Oils do not expect your home to fill with scent of country apple like the big brands do!
- Make your own reed stick diffuser. Use a glass bottle and fill with a carrier oil such as Almond or Olive Oil and Essential Oil Blend. I used kabob skewers as my sticks!
If you haven't made the switch yet yourself, then I encourage you to choose natural vs. synthetic and see the difference yourself :)
Thank you for your interest in learning more about natural ingredients that benefit our lives and environment.
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others -Chinese Proverbs